HEGIS Code 1004.00 Inventory of Registered Program Code: 21158
The graduate program in Music Education requires satisfactory completion of thirty-six 36 credits of approved graduate courses including a research project and 25 hours of field experience. It is designed for those individuals who have Provisional/Initial Certification and wish to attain Professional Certification to teach grades K-12. Twentyfour (24) of these credits must be completed in residence in order to be eligible for the master's degree. The program provides qualified students the opportunity to advance their study and research in music education and earn a Master of Music degree (M.M.). All requirements must be completed within five years of the date of matriculation.
All applicants for admission are required to have Provisional/ Initial Certification and demonstrate by audition significant musical skills and a commitment to the advancement of their personal and professional accomplishments. Completion of an undergraduate major in music education with at least 36 credits of applied music courses and a 2.75 overall G.P.A. are required for admission.
Students in the graduate program in Music Education take 18 credits of music education courses, 12 credits of music core courses, and 6 elective credits to complete the 36- credit requirement for the Master of Music degree.
Candidates for the Master's Degree must complete all requirements within five years of the date of matriculation.
1. Satisfactory completion of thirty-six (36) credits of course work that are designed to have the student acquire knowledge, expertise, and research skills in the field.
2. 25 hours of field experience.
3. A minimum of 24 credits at the College.
4. A minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0.
5. A research project approved by the Graduate Advisor. If continuous matriculation has not been maintained, a reevaluation of credentials will be required.
Program Course Requirements
The courses below are required of all students in the graduate program in Music Education leading to the Master of Music degree.
Recommended Sequence of Courses